Wednesday 22 July 2015

Fan Dance 2 #24hrs

While I was waiting for John Nicholson getting his arse of the Fan after his first lap of 4 in 24hrs, I cut about congratulating everybody on their times. Rob ( I'm not feeling it )Paine smashing it in 2:57:00 odd, bloody unreal time he just can't help himself I think. Mike Smith 2:38:00 some people can't even do that running normal, I've only another 1hr to shave off my time..

John come down of the Fan, I saw him and his wife Debs and told them I was ready, he knew where to find me after he recovered. I spoke to Karl as he was beaming another PB, Phill Williams my partner from Point to Point another PB, he's quick but not the sharpest at reading the T - shirts we had on show.


 I had asked John if I could do his 2nd lap Clean Fatigue the wk before, his reply you feckin lightweight, so I told him to fuck off in reply. I got the call I'm ready bawbag, I told Karl I was hoping to back for 7-8 pm cool he said as I was wanting a healthy feed and some laughs. Clean Fatigue wasn't exactly true I had a More Mile Baselayer on I swear by their kit, it's never let me down yet, a pair of jean shorts and my Paramo Velez smock. I looked like a tramp but I wasn't giving a fuck! 

We set off up the incline and I'm almost certain I heard one of the DS say where's he going, anyways nobody could stop me I had made a promise to my friend. We met Gerald Nick McCarthy coming down, the first I'd saw him all day, he was amazed at Johns Challenge and shook his hand and mine, we got our photos taken with him and his big mate. Gerald was hurting he tore his calf muscle again, yet here he was wishing us all the best for our trip out. 



Humility is a rare and wonderful thing, he was hurting as he knew his FD days are near over, but yet here he was beaming for for us giving us a firm handshakes, so off we went smiling after that. We soon made our way up to the kissing gate, John was in good spirits we got to have a right good laugh at Buttercup1 and the rest of the Bawbags recapping some of the banter that had passed. We spoke about how me and John first started that little band of nutters. 

We soon pass where MST1 was positioned, I talk to John about his crazy Challenge and what it means to him and why, he really is a cracking man. I was telling him that what he's doing has raised the bar for others. He can't grasp this as he says he's slow and not very quick like others me included, I tell him that he's smashed his comfort zone regardless of Fan Dance times! I explain the best I can without getting a bit arsey, it's not always about time it's the effort put in..

I continue to tell him that he's the craziest bastard I know, well not counting Rushen because he's another basket case for insane challenges. I told John that I couldn't do what he was doing, my traps were killing me, it was a relief to have my Bergen off fact. Telling him that even the quickest of cats like Mike Smith and Rob wouldn't even be mad enough to go out again. John then tells me about his Achilles problem with it scarring I'm stunned by this, he's kept it a secret and not let it hamper his efforts. 

We hit the summit and go down Jacobs, I'm talking to John and he's listening bless his cotton socks his ears must've been on fire.. He takes his Bergen off the stretch his hips out and back on again, we talk about all sorts on the way to turnaround point. The topics family - dreams - children and fears, it was during one of these talks that I had to look away, the tears running down my face. 

I change the subject back to fitness and stuff, hoping he hadn't noticed that I'd sprung a leak. We hit the Roman Road, he goes over on his ankle and winces in pain, I ask you ok mate - gritted teeth yeh I'm fine?! Just before we hit the Forest track he stops to do some admin to his feet, a little blister but annoying all the same. We hit the RV and low and behold the Brokeback Boys - James Nicholson and Matt Borders. 

I help James fill up Johns Camelpak with water, I get a banana off James as I was fucking starved and only had an energy replacement drink. I use the term banana very loosely it was the driest thing I've ever tasted it was shit, even Matt tried a little and his reaction alone said it all. I still ate the fucker under protest to James. He made me a cheese roll to make up for my disappointment, it was braw though the best ever.. John was struggling to get all his down, but he ate more than half of his hot meal. 

We said our farewells and I told them to keep it clean, as Matt kissed his fingers and grabbed his balls, I was crying with laughter John goes what's so funny - you don't want to know bro honest hahaha. Back along the RR and Johns pace has slowed a good bit, and the laughter has dried up now, I know where is he's in his own personal hell, nothing I can do will change his feeling inside. I could see Jacobs in the distance, my heart sank not for me I was feeling great, but for John this cunt would level the best of men, I was worried now for Golden Baws.

I still chatted hoping to break up the endless steps for John, I could see the sweat run off his face, get some fluids down you bro he did. We passed Windy Gap the pace was slowed right down now, I wanted to carry his Bergen and ease his suffering it's not nice watching a friend do that to himself, pushing to breaking point. I told John I wasn't happy that nobody was doing Lap3 with him, that's the hardest of them all, at night on his Jack. 

The mind can play tricks with you cruel tricks at that, the 3rd is the most crucial as the 4th he could do on adrenalin with ending the game. He tells me that he's struggling for the first time, that he feels sick, he burps and gets some wind up. We get to the bottom of the false summit, my second time coming this way I'm carrying fuck all though John has about 40lbs or more. Little steps bro I repeat over and over, I tell him about Staff Bigg and CT Fletcher I get a laugh at least. 

We have a visual of the top of Jacobs we stop for a breather for my mate, I was in awe of his stamina as it was the first of stops so far on the way back. Not far John now I see a bird of prey of the top of Jackbs I was gutted as my phone was dead to get a picture! We're about 4 metres from top and John stops suddenly as l stop he's ash white and he's sick. I make sure he's ok and we get to the top safely. 

Get fluids in you now John he did, we continue on he feels a little better now, he asked the time I told him, he's disheartened I could tell, I said if it takes you 30 hrs so be it. He agreed to this I didn't want to show to much concern but I was worried, I mean really worried about lap 3 now and what could happen. He was near in tears as he said he couldn't quit not now! My heart was bursting for him, he said he didn't want to let everybody down.. 

I changed the subject trying to keep him positive we cracked on, ok John just one little incline left then it's back to Debs and boots off and recover. He smiled at that thought so through the gate we start to go down, then he stumbles out of the blue, bro you ok? No he replied - what's up I said - I feel dizzy he says - I'm alarmed now ok stop for few minutes and breathe, get some fluids in you also a sweet. I tell him I'm going to link my arm to his, are you fuck he says! I'm walking backwards downhill now, as I'm worried he'll go over..




He must've had another 5-6 dizzy spells as we get near the bottom, I could see Debs she's waiting for her man, we reach Debs I take his Bergen off and tell her straight away what's happened. We cross the road over to the van, we both take Johns boots off he's destroyed physically not mentally though I thought.. He needs food and fluids Deb, but she knows this all ready, I tell her if he needs more rest between lap 3 he's to take it..
I say my farewells trying hard not to show my concern to Debs as I didn't want to put extra worry on her. 

I put the keys in the ignition at 8:00 pm and I cried in my car......




2 comments:

  1. Solid mate. Don't want to know what you said about buttercup though. Cock.
    Have dust in my eyes again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Solid mate. Don't want to know what you said about buttercup though. Cock.
    Have dust in my eyes again!

    ReplyDelete